OST file stands for Offline storage table file. These OST files are the offline replica of the user mailboxes on the exchange server. This offline storage table file enables the Microsoft Outlook user to work in offline mode. OST files are synchronized whenever the system connects to the Mail server. But in some situations, the Microsoft Outlook user has to face an error such as OST file cannot be opened in 2016 and previous versions also. If you are searching for the solution for the same issue then in this article I am going to coach your possible reasons for this OST file cannot be accessed error and its solution.
Most Prominent Reasons for OST Cannot Be Opened in MS Outlook 2016
There are several reasons for OST file cannot be opened error. Few reasons we have discussed below:
1. Due to bad sectors present on the Hard drive: This is one of the major reason for OST file corruption error. Sometimes due to bad sectors present on the hard drive file where the OST files are stored will also be the reason for OST file corruption error.
2. Abnormal Termination of Outlook Application: Once you are done with Microsoft Outlook tasks and emailing function. Then the user must have to remember to exit all the all open windows and dialogue box. The users do not have to close the process while it is in operation. This can damage the associated files and also the OST file. This also must be the reason for .ost cannot be opened error.
3. Sudden Power Loss: Sudden power failure issue in the case when the Outlook users are working with the OST file. The OST file will also get corrupted when the supply is comparatively higher and the machine gets affected by the excess power supply.
4. Virus or Malware infection: Due to virus or malware infection Outlook OST file will also get damage. And due to other reasons such as bugs transmission, downloading the application from unreliable resources are also the reasons for OST file corruption. And due to OST file corruption issue the user has to face OST file cannot be accessed error.
Top 3 Benefits of OST File
1. Offline storage table files are beneficial in case limited, unreliable and unreliable internet connectivity.
2. This allows the user to work in Offline mode without having an internet connection.
3. The users can also access their essential data in case of exchange server crash or exchange server downtime issue.
Manual Solution to Solve OST Cannot Be Opened in MS Outlook 2016
# Method 1: By Killing Entire MS Outlook related processed from Task manager
1. Open Task Manager or Press Ctrl + shift + Esc to open the Task manager.
2. Now search for one of the processes such as Communicator, Lync, Outlook or Ucmapi. In case if the user finds any of these processes just select it and click on End Task.
#Method 2: Disable Microsoft Outlook cache Exchange Mode
1. First, Close Microsoft Outlook application.
2. Go to Control Panel and then select Mail.
3. Then Click on Email accounts, and select the email address that shows the warning and click on change
4. Now uncheck use Cached Exchange Mode.
5. Finally, select Next and then Finish the task.
#Method 3: Repair OST file by Using Inbox Repair Tool
Microsoft Outlook application provides ScanPST ( Inbox repair Tool) to repair the OST file manually. But this will help to resolve minor level corruptions in the OST file. For more information about this method, the user can refer to Repair OST File Outlook 2016.
Resolve OST Cannot be Opened in MS Outlook 2016 / 2013 / 2010 Issue By Using Expert Solution
In case if the user was unable to recover most crucial data from OST file then the user can prefer reliable software which is the OST Data Recovery tool. This software allows the user to recover the data from corrupted and Orphaned OST file. The user can extract and recover deleted emails from OST file. This utility gives you date filter option to recover the selected data. No file size limitations are associated with this OST file recovery software. This tool is smartly programmed to resolve the high-level corruptions issues of OST file. The Graphical user interface of this software so simple and easy to use for nontechnical and novice users.
Follow The Steps to Recover Data From Corrupted or Damaged OST files.
1. Download and Launch the OST Data Recovery Software.
2. Now click on Add file button
3. Choose select file option and Browse the OST file.
4. Then select the scan mode (from Quick and Advance)
5. After that click on Add button to Preview OST file data.
6. Click on the Export button and select the file format PST.
7. Browse the destination to save the PST file.
8. Click on Export Button to start the process.
Few Closing Thoughts
From the above write up one can get the ideas about how to resolve OST cannot be opened in MS Outlook 2016 / 2013 / 2010 issue. In this post, we have discussed the OST file and its advantages. Also, we have given the reasons for OST file corruption issue. In case if the user is facing OST cannot be opened error then the user can first try the manual workarounds. But this manual method has some limitations like difficult to perform, strong technical knowledge is needed to perform this process, and sometimes the user has to face data loss situations. So it is better to recover the data from corrupted OST file the user can take the help OST data recovery software.